When you invest in a nice pair of boots, you want to make sure they last. Whether you’re a Hush Puppies fan or prefer Dansko boots, you want to keep your kicks looking sharp. How can you do that this winter, when snow and ice abound? Area boot stores in Basalt, CO have a few tips.
Choosing the best waterproofing method is key. Here are the top guidelines for waterproofing various types of boots. Following these methods will help keep your boots looking shiny and new.
To waterproof leather boots, such as the fashionable Merrell boots you’ll find at Midland Shoe, your boot store in Basalt, CO recommends the following steps:
- Start with a thorough cleaning.
- Heat the boots gently with a hair dryer.
- Apply a small amount of dubbin wax to a soft cloth, then rub it over the boots.
- Repeat if needed.
- Let the boots dry for 30 to 60 minutes. Do not apply direct heat to speed up this process, as this can create cracks in the leather.
- Once dry, buff the wax off the boots with a dry cloth.
Waterproofing suede boots requires a slightly different procedure. To ensure the suede Taos boots you picked up at Midland Shoe stay dry after a walk through the snow or rain, use the following steps:
- Clean the boots thoroughly.
- Spray the boots with a re-proofing spray, holding the container about two inches away from the suede. Be sure to coat the boot evenly.
- Let the boots air dry naturally.
- Use a footwear brush to restore the boot to its original finish.
If your fashion trend lends toward fabric boots, use the following process to waterproof your footwear. This will help keep those FitFlop boots looking great and feeling dry:
- As with other waterproofing processes, always start with a good cleaning of your fabric boots.
- Apply re-proofing product after cleaning is complete. This can be done while the boots or wet or after they have dried. However, spraying the re-proofer onto dry boots allows you to more easily see where you have applied the spray.
- Once the re-proofer has been applied, let the boots dry completely before wearing them.
Conditioning Leather Boots
In addition to waterproofing, you may want to occasionally condition your leather boots. If you notice the leather is starting to crack or has gotten very dry, this process can help renew your boots. Use the following process:
- Conditioning usually works best when your boots are damp. This allows the product to absorb more thoroughly.
- Apply a small amount of conditioner to a clean cloth and apply a light, even coat on your boots. Don’t forget the seams.
- Let the conditioner sit at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Remove excess with a cloth.
- Allow the conditioner to air dry naturally (don’t apply heat).
Find the Perfect Pair
Do you need to replace an old pair of boots that didn’t hold up to previous water exposure? Perhaps you simply want to keep up to date with this season’s latest fashions. To get the best boots, head to your trusted boot store in Basalt, CO. At Midland Shoe, we specialize in boots that are ideal for the mountain lifestyle and for any season. We ensure that all of our boots are top quality, and we pair them with top-quality service.