If you’re new to the American West, you may be surprised by how casually everyone dresses. Jackets and ties are an exception to the rule once you go west of the Rocky Mountains. While this can contribute to a bit of cultural confusion for guests and newcomers, it’s easy to adapt to and own the “mountain casual” style. Mountain casual is found in both urban and rural communities throughout the Intermountain West, including in Colorado, Utah, California, Oregon, Washington and Nevada. Working with a local clothing boutique can help you stay on top of men’s and women’s fashions in Basalt, CO.
Mountain casual, at its most pure, is a clothing style designed to allow wearers to easily experience the very best that the great outdoors has to offer. Mountain casual clothing is often rugged and suited for extensive outdoor use. While there are some differences between women’s and men’s fashion in Basalt, CO, mountain casual is often a gender-neutral look that’s easy for everyone to sport.
Here are just a few tenets to observe as you begin shopping for the perfect mountain casual outfit to complement your time in the Rocky Mountain State:
- Pants: The pants you buy to fit your new mountain casual aesthetic should be comfortable and durable. Heavy-duty jeans or thick, earth-tone chinos are often the best types of pants to invest in. People pursuing the local men’s fashion in Basalt, CO could also wear corduroy.
- Shirts: Button-up flannel is the way of the west. You should always wear collared shirts that reflect the natural colors of the season and the area you’re staying in. For instance, rusts and reds are always acceptable in the fall.
- Skirts and dresses: For women’s fashion in Basalt, CO, you could also consider investing in skirts and dresses that match the season. For instance, you should only wear summer dresses between Memorial Day and Labor Day.
- Outerwear: There are several different types of outerwear that are considered appropriate for mountain casual attire. Ski jackets or puffy down vests are almost always acceptable, as are more rugged coats, like collared work jackets.
- Shoes: Leather boots are almost always good options when pursuing the mountain casual aesthetic. Hiking boots, so long as they are in good repair, are also acceptable. Be sure to dress to the occasion, however.
Midland Shoe has been one of the most trusted providers of both men’s and women’s fashion in Basalt, CO since 1992. We are proud to provide each and every one of our customers with high-quality footwear, accessories and clothing that meet their individual needs and stylistic preferences. We take a tremendous amount of pride in our ability to outfit each of our guests with mountain casual clothing that is durable, good-looking and comfortable.
Whether you’re in town for a social event or are moving to the area to pursue outdoor adventures, you can count on Midland Shoe to provide you with the gear you need to enjoy yourself and look good while doing it.